Jenny's Notes: We used ½ ground pork and ½ ground beef, instead of the proportions specified by the recipe. This was simply due to Costco's packaging and a desire not to purchase more meat than was needed. Niman Ranch's applewood-smoked bacon gave a wonderful flavor. Aside from these changes, all was by the book... er, screen.
Scalloped Yukon Gold and Sweet Potato Gratin with Fresh Herbs (Epicurious)
Jenny's Notes: We followed the recommendations of the other Epicurious cooks and increased the quantity of each sort of potato to 2 pounds (from 1½ pounds each). Although the recipe says to submerge the potatoes "as much as possible," they really weren't much submerged at all, but this didn't matter.
Sauteed Green Beans with Toasted Almonds
Jenny's Note: I first made these for a dinner party in 2006, where they were a huge hit. This has been my favorite brownie recipe ever since.
Butterscotch Brownies (Jenny Michael—a family recipe) Ingredients:
1 lb. brown sugarPreparation:
1 cup butter
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tstp. salt
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Cook the butter and sugar together over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Cool till lukewarm.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- Stir the flour mixture into the sugar mixture.
- Spread the batter evenly into an ungreased 9x13-inch pan. Sprinkle the walnuts evenly on top of the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until done.
- Cut into squares while still warm.
Jenny's Note: A Pyrex pan works well for this recipe but may require a longer baking time.