Jenny's Notes: We made this recipe as written, with two exceptions:
- Because we weren't sure how lamb would be received at the shelter, we used ground turkey instead—not as flavorful, but an acceptable and affordable alternative.
- Because I detest peas (!) we substituted Trader Joe's frozen French green beans, which we chopped into pea-sized chunks. Much better! :)
Sweet & Sour Squash Salad (Gretchen Bell)
4 small zucchini, very finely sliced
4 small yellow squash, very finely sliced
1 red (or yellow or orange) pepper, finely diced
1 red onion, finely diced
1/2 cup celery, finely sliced
1/3 cup olive oil
1 cup sherry vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Combine all vegetables in a heat-resistant bowl.
- Place the dressing ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil, cooking until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour the hot dressing over the vegetables, and stir to combine. Allow to marinate for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Drain and serve.
Marshmallow Treats with M&Ms (from Cooks.com)
Jenny's Note: We added 1 cup of M&M candies to the basic recipe.
Smoked Salmon Spread (Jenny Michael)
Jenny's Note: This recipe is my own concoction, and I've served it a couple of times as a cooking-day snack. People have asked for the recipe, so even though it wasn't an official part of this meal, I thought I'd post it here.Ingredients:
hot-smoked salmon, flakedPreparation: Combine all ingredients and mix together well. Serve with crackers or baguette slices.
cream cheese (I used light whipped)
pickled jalapeños, chopped
red onion, finely chopped
ground black pepper, to taste
lemon juice, to taste